The 100th Downhill mens' final today (Sunday 8th June) saw a gloriousweekend at the Nissan UCI Mountain Bike World Cup Fort William draw to aclose in dramatic fashion. The challenging Fort William course pushed each rider to the limit. Withextremely dry conditions this year the riders careered down theworld-renowned track. Rider after rider cut the time as they racedagainst the clock. Whilst the Brits put up a sterling performance they could not match thespeed of Greg Minnaar (RSA) who thundered over the finish line to stealthe gold, three seconds ahead of Gee Atherton (GBR) in a close secondplace, followed by Steve Peat (GBR) in third.A thrilled Greg Minnaar said, “I’m just over the moon, it was so good toget revenge after the World Championships. After recovering from a fewbroken bones I’m back at the top of my game. “The weather here is beautiful but the course is by far the hardest. Thecrowd has been amazing and it’s so nice to have so many followers fromhome behind me.”Gee Atherton the first Brit to finish romped over the finish to take thesilver. Gee said, “I’m really pleased with my performance, Greg’s runwas far better than mine but I know it’s something I can work on. It’sbeen a great day.”Taking bronze, Steve Peat said, “I’m happy to be on the podium today.The track was very dry and the top turns really pushed me but I felt Istill had a solid smooth run.”Scottish rider Ben Cathro, 20, from Oban came in 8th place just secondsafter the top set of riders with a crowd-pleasing time of 4:49:06.Top mens junior on the Downhill course was the fearless Josh Bryceland,18, from Manchester, finishing in 16th place overall.Sunday, 8 June 2008
Mens Downhill Results
The 100th Downhill mens' final today (Sunday 8th June) saw a gloriousweekend at the Nissan UCI Mountain Bike World Cup Fort William draw to aclose in dramatic fashion. The challenging Fort William course pushed each rider to the limit. Withextremely dry conditions this year the riders careered down theworld-renowned track. Rider after rider cut the time as they racedagainst the clock. Whilst the Brits put up a sterling performance they could not match thespeed of Greg Minnaar (RSA) who thundered over the finish line to stealthe gold, three seconds ahead of Gee Atherton (GBR) in a close secondplace, followed by Steve Peat (GBR) in third.A thrilled Greg Minnaar said, “I’m just over the moon, it was so good toget revenge after the World Championships. After recovering from a fewbroken bones I’m back at the top of my game. “The weather here is beautiful but the course is by far the hardest. Thecrowd has been amazing and it’s so nice to have so many followers fromhome behind me.”Gee Atherton the first Brit to finish romped over the finish to take thesilver. Gee said, “I’m really pleased with my performance, Greg’s runwas far better than mine but I know it’s something I can work on. It’sbeen a great day.”Taking bronze, Steve Peat said, “I’m happy to be on the podium today.The track was very dry and the top turns really pushed me but I felt Istill had a solid smooth run.”Scottish rider Ben Cathro, 20, from Oban came in 8th place just secondsafter the top set of riders with a crowd-pleasing time of 4:49:06.Top mens junior on the Downhill course was the fearless Josh Bryceland,18, from Manchester, finishing in 16th place overall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment